If you get, say, depressed because of your life being constant shit, how will going to a mental institution help? How does therapy help?

It’s not like therapy is going to solve the problems you face in life, like lack of money, friends, bad job, etc? I guess I’m asking what is the purpose of therapy and mental institutions?

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

It sounds like you feel helpless. You’re having difficulty understanding how a therapist can help because you see all of your problems as “uncontrollable things that happen TO you.”

The point of the therapist is to change how you view yourself and your world. You think that the only way your life could get better is for some external force to remove your problems, but YOU can fix the problems yourself, or, at least have the ability to continue living a happy life despite the problems.

• Cringe2793@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ah I think I understand. The therapist doesn’t really solve any of my problems, they just suggest steps I could take to fix them myself, or learn to accept things?

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Everybody has problems. But not everybody is compelled to lay in bed all day because of them.

The therapist can help you learn how to coexist with your problems.