• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

After Hamas broke through and started murdering people, I swear people just expected Israel to take it? Not react? Not retaliate? Leave? I don’t understand what anyone expected here. Hamas wanted this and knew it would happen.

• ThunderingJerboa@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

I mean asymmetrical warfare is a messy affair. Hamas gets new recruits who are angered about their family and homes being destroyed. Big nations typically don’t win these kind of engagements in the modern era because at least to modern sensibilities we don’t really want to see pointless slaughter and genocide, this isn’t to advocate for it, quite far from it but historically typically you would have to be ruthless to subjugate people but thankfully modern sensibilities say that is pretty fucked. So really this will either end up another “forever” war or one of the sides will be wiped out entirely.

• DoctorTYVM@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

Yes, there are people who 100% think Israel not only should forgive and forget about Oct 7. Then there are the people who think Israelis deserve that and worse.

• kozy138@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

You realize Israel has been the aggressor for over 20 years, right? Palestine has finally gathered enough military resources to counter attack in retaliation. It’s self defense at this point

• glockenspiel@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 个月前

So you agree with the IDF in that targeting civilians is self defense?

Or are we playing pedantic games again where we try to rationalize bad things by wearing victimized status one moment while murdering children the next? Maybe the IDF and Hamas are both responsible. Hamas aren’t freedom fighters like my fellow lefties are making them out to be. They want a theonomic system. And they have one.

• lloram239@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 个月前

Well, if they wanna fight, they shouldn’t be complaining that Israel is doing their part in the game. If they wanted peace they could have had it decades ago.

• hark@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 个月前

True, Israel has actually been the aggressor for waaaaaay longer than 20 years.