• mob@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

My Ford Taurus isn’t going to get into the Uintas or Wasatch range. Getting rid of my SUV will really hurt my wifes ability to release rehabilitated animals.

But, I don’t want to be a stupid fucker. What should I get after I get rid of my SUV?

• M0oP0o@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Subaru hatchbacks are great off road and have about the same capacity as most SUVs.

• ur_dad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

100% agree. I’m a handyman and drive an outback. People are usually surprised when I open the hatch and it’s full of my tool boxes.

• mob@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Pretty low clearance but maybe we can get some beavers in there.

I was being snarky originally but you could have a point there.

• gulasch_hanuta@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

You are literally the only reason they should exist. One does not need such a car in suburbs or cities.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Just require a commercial license/insurance for vehicles that large (and up)

You’ll have a lot less people who don’t need them

• M0oP0o@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

The older (until 2003 ish) Impreza can hold a whole ass washer/dryer/oven/dishwasher in the back no issue then they made it too round. I remember helping someone move and they had a stupid “truck” but could not get the bed cover off so me and my snoopy looking car moved all the appliances (3 trips) while the “truck” moved boxes and flat furniture.

Edit to add:

If you want to have a better chance at offroad with a subaru invest in a good skidplate and if really needed they have a higher clearance model. I have been places in them that the brodozers get stuck in seconds.

• Number1SummerJam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Even an older model SUV like a Honda CRV will take up a lot less space than its modern counterpart. Station wagons can be sexy too if that’s your style.

• GreenM@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Don’t let me start about my station wagon. I can get them back seats perfectly horizontal connecting the back space with middle and it makes comfy double bed. Not to mention that under the floor there are tons of storage spaces to keep all the tools and food or whatever out of the way.

• mob@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Emissions make sense to me, but does conserving space actually matter?

• cosmo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

In cities it does. Here where I live there’s being made a point of existing parking spaces being too narrow for modern cars. They are so much wider these days.

• BlackVenom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

While parent is extreme and minimizes that some people have legitimate needs… You do raise another interesting point… You have an SUV and a Fullsize Sedan. I’m sure you have your reasons but it’s an amusing anecdote.

• mob@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

yeah. turns out animal rehibition isn’t very profitable and I wasn’t really expecting to end up in a responsible/respectable life. We bought what we could afford.

I take my electric skateboard to school when I can(weather permitting) , but I will choose shitty emissions for a 10-50 mile drive to save an animals life over letting it die or live in a cage. and honestly, I am only going to school to get money to expand the rehabilitation… I will try to get a vehicle that is better for the environment when I can afford it though.

• bigschnitz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

A station wagon is easier for moving animals, more space than a small SUV - it’s lower to the ground (huge plus if you have to lift them in, easier for them if you are leading them up a portable ramp).

The trade off is you can’t do soft sand, cross deeper streams etc, but IMO animals don’t need to be released far off track, to me it’s worth the trade off.

• GreenM@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

People driving heavy terrain in wilderness around here use small jeep like cars. Even US army used use them back in the day before monster trucks became a thing.
      Edit: I meant small variants. Not the big size ones.

• mob@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I don’t think I agree. Pretty sure a 2 door jeep is still a sport utility vehicle

• M0oP0o@mander.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I am not a jeep fan but I don’t think I can put a 2 door YJ in the same category as say an escalade. We need to make trains and smaller cars cool again.

• GreenM@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

But it’s not huge ass truck like vehicle. One is parked right next to mu European sized car and Jeep’s smaller overall even if bit higher due to being offroad vehicle.

Edit: I mean small jeeps. Not their big variants.

I think point of critique of modern SUV usage is about their unnecessary big size and weight which leads to space wasting and higher fuel consumption which has its own negatives.