I’ve been on the fence for a while thinking about getting myself a steam deck. I got a great gaming computer and I’m wondering if it can possible accompany it in some way, or is it just the excitement of getting new tech kicking in.

What do you do with your steam deck? What makes you glad that you got it?

• jiberish@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I use it as my primary computer. The handheld ergonomics and thumb track pads make it the most comfortable device I own. I am familiar with KDE / arch, so I am at home in desktop mode. I bought the cheapest one and added a 2TB SSD. I am considering dual booting or just removing SteamOS and installing a standard linux distro. It’s a great computer.

I have a friend who uses the same 4g chip that’s in a PinePhone via USB. This lets him use his Steam Deck as a phone. That’s way beyond my skill level.

I use it everyday, but only occasionally play games on it. I love it for Spelunky 2, Risk of Rain 2, Dwarf Fortress, Rocket League, and puzzle games. I don’t play too many 3d games on it. High performance games seem to run ok, but I don’t have the attention span or time for cyberpunk or similar games.

• iJojoz@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That actually makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of selling my gaming PC sometimes in the future and sticking around to SteamDeck

• jiberish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Depending on the games you play and the specs of your desktop, you may or may not be happier with the steam deck. I am a linux user and play basic games. It can play some more intensive games with lower resolution or frame rates. Doesn’t bother me, but some people are all about the highest fastest bestest.