Following changes to its API access, users are forced to log in on the official Reddit app if they want to view NSFW content on mobile.

• d_cent@lemm.ee
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wait you can even view reddit on a 3rd party app at all? Which app playoffs the $10m to still work with reddit?

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, theres a few that are gonna switch to a subscription model to pay off the ridiculous price reddit is asking. Fucking shills, man.

• SolidGrue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I can’t hate. Those devs had a livelihood and real world bills to pay. I can’t blame them for trying to make a bad thing work.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I will hate on the people who pay it though, since paying to use reddit after how Spez conducted himself and the disdain shown towards the user base seems absolutely ridiculous. That’s some next level addiction of being mad enough to not use the official reddit app, but too addicted to not stop contributing content to the site.

• Turbofish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I wouldn’t necessarily say shills. I can’t say I know the ins and outs of app development but I’m sure it could come about that a particular dev doesn’t have the know how or capital to start a new project.

What I do know is that I’ve worked for companies who’s morals I don’t approve of to make ends meet.

• scottywh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I just tried and was still able to pull up the front page in Boost when logged in but it was super slow and no NSFW access.

• venusenvy47@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You can use them if you aren’t logged into your account. I still try BaconReader every once in awhile, just to see my old friend. Even the NSFW links worked just now.

• blabber6285@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It is still based on usage so you don’t need to cough up 10 mil for starters. You ONLY need something like 10$ a month per user. Can’t recall the exact numbers anymore but the point remains.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The Apollo dev said $2.50 a month per user. Not that bad really if reddit had given developers enough time to change their apps and the sign-up process. He got screwed by already having an existing Premium that people had pre-paid too.

• zurohki@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s $2-3/month, but that’s assuming all your existing users convert to paid subscriptions.

The issue devs had was that it was going to mostly be the heaviest users who would be willing to pay for a subscription. The people who spend many hours per day using the app and rack up $20/month in API charges.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah, they would have to include some limits so a user wasn’t costing the app developer money. Not all existing users would have to sign up, though - people would just have to be required to sign up and pay to use the app in the future. It’s certainly quite a disadvantage for 3rd party app users have to pay while the official app is free.

• blabber6285@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah thanks for the accurate number. It wasn’t as ridiculous as I recalled. Should’ve checked it first.

Still unreasonably high (checked the Apollo post, he calculated it would be multiple times more than what average reddit user currently brings to table).

The purpose of my comment was to point out that the mentioned 10 million dollars would mean 4 million active users if it’s monthly fee.

Theoretically anyone could make their own app with the api and pay the api cost directly.