A request that was asked since these games apparently run better on Windows. Vermintide 2 is about 20% faster on Linux and Doom Eternal about 20% faster on Windows.

• GrappleHat@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

You seem to be really ruffling feathers with these comparison tests. Who’d have thought they’d be so controversial?

Thanks a lot for posting! I find them interesting!

• darcmage@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’m glad OP’s linux gaming experience is so much better than it is on windows. I don’t say this to cast aspersions but if the results were reliable and repeatable, people like christitus, gardiner and many others would make daily videos on the topic just to get all the views(dollars) it would surely generate. It would cause a seismic shift in the PC gaming space.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” - Sagan

• GrappleHat@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Maybe I’m misinterpreting, but I don’t think OP’s claims are extraordinary. I think he’s only saying “I’ve noticed Linux can outperform Windows on programs that are optimized for Windows. Kinda unexpected, but here are the benchmarks.”

OP is not claiming that this is true in 100% of cases. For example, in this thread he points out that Windows outperformed Linux on Doom.

• june 🌿@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Fairly certain it’s linux on the left using vulkan and windows on the right using dx12, which imo might be the cause of some of the discrepancy

• superpill@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think so too, mainly based on the title and that the performance stats look like it does on my Steam Deck. Thanks for the reply!

• MoonlitCringe@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I tried to play Vermintide 2 on Linux after Windows kept giving me issues, but I couldn’t get the Easy Anti-Cheat to stop freaking out about me playing on Linux.

I never found a fix for it, has that changed or is it just luck?

• MrPoopbutt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

For vermintide 2, is it more stable in one OS than the other? I remember it being a wee bit buggy on Windows.