On Wednesday evening, a rifle-toting gunman murdered 18 people and wounded at least 13 more in Lewiston, Maine, when he opened fire at two separate locations—a bowling alley, followed by a bar. A manhunt is still underway for 40-year-old suspect Robert Card, a trained firearms instructor with the U.S. Army Reserve who, just this summer, spent two weeks in a mental hospital after reporting that he was hearing voices and threatening to shoot up a military base.

While the other late-night talk show hosts stuck to poking fun at new Speaker of the House Mike Johnson on Thursday night, Stephen Colbert took his rebuke of the Louisiana congressman to a whole other level.

“Now, we know the arguments,” Colbert said of the do-nothing response politicians generally have to tragedies such as this. “Some people are going to say this is a mental health issue. Others are going to say it’s a gun issue. But there’s no reason it can’t be both.”

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Involuntary commitment disqualifies a person from owning guns legally. It’s essentially never happens though.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think he voluntarily checked himself in, that’s what someone said last night. I’m talking more about before they get a gun.

• misanthropy@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Personally, this is one of the reasons I keep my mental illness to myself. I don’t want to hurt anyone but myself (and that’s not all the time), but knowing I might lose the right forever makes me keep a lid on things, and honestly prevents me from reaching out for help when I’m feeling particularly sour.

Also, the paperwork you sign before your NICS background check asks if you’ve been committed, voluntary or involuntary.

Also, involuntarily commiting definitely happens, but usually it’s after a failed suicide attempt, and just nets you a 20-25k bill (with insurance) and having no way of going back to work for three days costing you your job. I’ve got two friends with that exact experience.

• rchive@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

And that’s the other edge of the double edged sword. If you say, “people with known mental health problems lose certain rights, even temporarily,” some portion of people with those problems will just fight harder to keep them unknown, foregoing help in the process. It’s just like how when certain places pass laws prohibiting having sex when you know you have an STD, some people just stop getting checked so they don’t “know” they have an STD.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

There’s basically nothing temporary to government. You generally have to fight to undo anything, even if the laws says it should.

• krolden@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

And it bans them from owning gun virtually forever unless they can afford a good lawyer and all the legal fees youll need to do it.