On Wednesday evening, a rifle-toting gunman murdered 18 people and wounded at least 13 more in Lewiston, Maine, when he opened fire at two separate locations—a bowling alley, followed by a bar. A manhunt is still underway for 40-year-old suspect Robert Card, a trained firearms instructor with the U.S. Army Reserve who, just this summer, spent two weeks in a mental hospital after reporting that he was hearing voices and threatening to shoot up a military base.

While the other late-night talk show hosts stuck to poking fun at new Speaker of the House Mike Johnson on Thursday night, Stephen Colbert took his rebuke of the Louisiana congressman to a whole other level.

“Now, we know the arguments,” Colbert said of the do-nothing response politicians generally have to tragedies such as this. “Some people are going to say this is a mental health issue. Others are going to say it’s a gun issue. But there’s no reason it can’t be both.”

• LifeOfChance@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The fact that card admitted to wanting to do this and nothing was done boggles my mind. The entire state is on their knees until he is caught. Every school has been shut down and the surrounding towns are all still in lock down until further notice. I’m 2h away and they’re debating a lock down for us now because he had plans to go to saco,me and going through that down this morning you can tell they’re geared up and ready for the call

• JoeyBalls@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah it’s absolutely retarded that they couldn’t stop him. My cousin is the one who reported him and then they gave him a psych eval. But somehow they let him check himself out and then do this. I live about an hour and a half away from where it happened

• Ziro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

All locked down here in South Portland, which is about 50 minutes or so from Lewiston.