There are two big problems with drafting in solo queue right now. One is that if you’re flexible and/or pick to help the team comp, you’re likely to be dodged. Two is that dodges are a horrible user experience. Nobody wants to sit in 2-3 separate queues for ten minutes going through drafts that get dodged if you counter the enemy team too hard. Nobody wants to get their off meta champion banned because they showed it in the previous champ select.

Drafting is 100% part of the game and should be treated as such. The people “winning” a draft should get some kind of LP, whether that’s through playing a game where they have an advantage, or just straight LP for a dodge or afk.

Dodges and afks should lose full LP, and that LP should be distributed to the opposing team. If you queue up for a game, play it.

• Serinus@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I posted this 5 minutes ago, queued up, made it to the last ten seconds of champ select… and someone dodged. For the second time in a row.

It’s going to take me 15 minutes to hit summoners rift, and this is a normal occurrence. How have we allowed and encouraged this for so long?

• ඞmir@lemmy.mlM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I just find it weird how the dodge timer is longer for ARAM than for SR. Make SR also 15 minutes and maybe it improves things

• idunnololz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think this change was done because there were more dodges in aram vs ranked. But the argument can be made that even though there is less dodges in ranked, the time loss can be greater due to how long draft phase lasts

• Cossacks@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yup, iirc there were more dodges in ARAM because people didn’t get a champ they wanted and they wanted to make a more punishing dodge timer.

I do think dodging in ranked should be the same as ARAM but I think it’s in a better place then what it was a couple years ago.

• ඞmir@lemmy.mlM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Wait a second I recognize that username. Didn’t know the Summit dev also played LoL. Lmk if you wanna play some ARAMs in EUW haha

If ARAM dodge timers were shorter people would try to get godroll teams more often because they can just go to the toilet in the 5 minutes, so I understand why ARAM is 15 minutes. I just find it funny that ranked doesn’t also have 15 minutes at the bare minimum. 5 minutes feels like too little for wasting 9 others people’s time for an entire draft and also dodging bad matchups to save LP simultaneously

I’d argue don’t queue ranked if there’s a slight chance you have to dodge for any reason, or at least extend the dodge timer after opponent bans are revealed so you can’t dodge if your OTP is banned. Still waiting for that “quick play” queue as a replacement(?) to blind pick so I can skip the 5 minutes of drafting that happens every game before someone inevitably dodges