link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Queensland’s Assistant Fire Commissioner Peter Hollier has likened the current conditions to those experienced during the devastating 2019 Black Summer bushfires.

In Mount Isa, the town is relying on water-bombing aircraft for the first time as it risks being surrounded by four fires, each started by overheating machinery igniting bone-dry spinifex grass.

Senior Sergeant Jeff Magnus of the District Disaster Management Group for the north west said the record wet season at the start of the year had hindered preparations.

“Then further heavy rain in June and July has prevented back-burning operations so the fuel loads are incredible across the north west,” Mr Magnus said.

Queensland’s metropolitan firefighters have also received a call to arms to help relieve weary rural fire crews who have been battling blazes since August.

The Queensland Fire Fighters Union’s John Oliver said a notification was sent out to urban crews this week at Brisbane City, the Gold Coast, Logan, and Ipswich.

The original article contains 833 words, the summary contains 155 words. Saved 81%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!