Hey, Mlem Community.

You might have noticed our community has been closed for the past few days and that several posts have been removed. If you’re especially keen, you might have noticed that we momentarily migrated to vlemmy.net.

We recently parted ways with the team member responsible for most of our community outreach. We had hoped that he would agree to smoothly step away from the project. He did not. On his way out, he used his power as the primary (active) mod on this community to shut it down and remove several posts. He also refused to relinquish control of the Mlem Official accounts on Lemmy and Mastodon.

First and foremost we apologize deeply for his behavior. He is not, nor will he ever again be, affiliated with this project, and we have enacted greater redundancies and shared authority to prevent anything like this from happening again.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?

We continue developing, of course! The core dev team is intact and as excited as ever to bring you the best Lemmy app that we can. We’ve got a new TestFlight build coming down the pipeline soon and an App Store application just around the corner from that. The community is open, and we look forward to hearing all your voices again.

Cheers,

The Mlem Team

• Aaron Doe@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wondered what happened to BrooklynMan, was stalking your GitHub and knew there was more drama behind the scenes with the original developer leaving and now this, hopefully you guys can catch a break. As it doesn’t give people the most confidence, either way I’m loving Mlem! :)

• Eric@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Haha yeah it’s definitely been a bit bumpy, but the core team works really well together and we’re optimistic that it’s smooth sailing from here on out. We’re hoping our next release will restore some of that confidence–it’s got some exciting features planned!

• Gollum@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So, the original developer wasn’t the guy causing trouble?
      So maybe he left because of a toxic environment?

• Greg@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Small boring projects have small boring problems, but big awesome projects have problems… like this one :) Stay strong, it’s only a challenge! Mlem is awesome and you guys are an inspiration for less experienced developers and Mlem is the face (like in front end) of lemmy communities for many people! Thank you for your work!

• NXL@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sucks that happened but I’m glad y’all are continuing the amazing work! Mlem is so great

• darknavi@vlemmy.netM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the kind words!

Community hype definitely helps keep the development moving a long, you all are amazing!

• Ryan@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

So much drama… I’ll stick with Memmy, I think… Hopefully, this project can stabilize itself eventually!

• Eric@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They’re doing great work over there too! We saw they just launched–congrats to them!

For what it’s worth, we don’t like the drama either, and we’re hoping that this will be the end of it and we can focus all our energies on what matters: updates!

• gkd@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Thanks for the congrats! I’m glad you guys are ironing these issues out, really hope you guys get up soon too. If you have any questions about what all Apple complained about or what you need to include to get approved, shoot me a PM or you can add me on Discord, g_k_d . Or, if you guys have a Matrix let me know.

Edit: Just saw you guys have a Matrix link in the post. I’ll just drop in and you can message me if you have questions.

• E5C0@vlemmy.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Congrats on getting Memmy on the App Store !🖖 Been using it for a few hours and I love it, I’ll still use both memmy and Mlem till I find which one works for me. It’s great to have different choices.

• GuyDudeman@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Memmy’s great. I think mlem has a lot of potential as well. I think we can do some fun stuff with it if we stick with it. There are a lot of creative things we can do once we get the core functionality built out and functioning, and then fine-tuned a bit. Once that’s good, then comes the fun part, in my opinion. But I’m a designer, so that’s where my mind goes. The little fun animations and the way the app reacts to your interactions, that we’ll be able to incorporate.

Apollo was great, but there’s also a lot of potential to do our own things, having used and learned from Apollo, and now knowing how different the fediverse and Lemmy are from Reddit.

• slin@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just curious, the new/remaining Mlem dev team is different than the original creators of the app?

• Eric@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The app was originally created as a solo project. When Lemmy suddenly took off, the founder started looking for devs to help out, and several of us showed up; for personal reasons, the founder chose to back out shortly thereafter. The dev team has remained largely consistent since then, though we’ve gained a couple new contributors.

• luke@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Was a new beta version created? Can’t seem to update anymore and it’s been removed from my TestFlight ☹️

• Eric@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We had to create a new TestFlight a couple weeks ago when the founder left the project. Our new one is full, but we’re hoping to be on the App Store within a couple of weeks so stay tuned!

• Shrinra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Ah, so that’s what happened! A few days ago, I was trying to respond to Eric’s reply to my comment in the post for the prior TestFlight build, and was wondering why it seemed to be deleted. I thought I was going crazy for a minute!

Anyway, good luck to the team going forward! I hope everything is smooth, drama free, and most importantly, enjoyable leading up to your first stable release. 😀

• Eric@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Gone but not forgotten! I can read all the deleted posts with my Mod Powers, and I’ve made sure to go through and catalog all the feature requests. IIRC yours was customizing swipe actions–we’ve got that scheduled for 1.2, though it’s too far out to give a precise timeline.