Piracy, in today’s context of unauthorized sharing of digital content, is wrongly condemned as immoral theft. However, it is not piracy itself that is immoral. Rather, it is the greed-driven laws and practices that censor knowledge and creative works to maximize profits. At its core, piracy is about sharing information and creative works with others, which should be seen as a moral good. 🤑

• platypus_plumba@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

First, times change old man. Software now requires maintenance and requirements change.

Second, I was talking about your ideal scenario in which software can be given away without cracking it or without piracy being illegal. In that scenario, software would use the cloud services because, why not? They are already giving away all the effort of the programmers.

Third, holy shit, I can’t believe a programmer is PRO software piracy. Do you even understand how your industry works? Do you realize software needs to be sold to generate a revenue? This ain’t charity.

• ayaya@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

First I was too young now I’m too old. I guess I can never be whatever enlightened age you are that knows how everything works.

You can’t believe a programmer is pro piracy? Who do you think runs the sites or rips the content? The Easter Bunny? Piracy is run by technical people.

I have watched the industry change over the years which is precisely why I am against it. And in the described scenario people would be incentivized to not use cloud services for the precise reason that they do cost money. Which would be ideal.

• ~/hyde@lazybear.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

@platypus_plumba @ayaya FOSS is free … But people create services around it to get revenue. But, the software is free.

Tthose big companies are making money using free software without giving anything back … And that’s disgusting. Check the latest Redhat move …

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Redhat not giving back?

Do you think Redhat hasn’t contributed to Linux?

I swear, I’m about to punch a wall reading these replies. Holy shit.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

They are still going to contribute. They will still update their CentOS Stream with fixes. They’ll still contribute to FOSS and the Linux Kernel… They are just making it harder for clone distributions to steal their work as soon as they publish it.

How is it wrong? They want to make Redhat more profitable. If it becomes more profitable they’ll hire more engineers who will further develop FOSS.