link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s much simpler:

“Do as I say. You’ll be rewarded by someone else in the future.”

“Your life sucks.? But don’t worry, it’s supposed to be like that and if you do as I say, everything will be fine”

Obviously"do as I say" include paying the businessman

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

More than one in 200 Spaniards say they were sexually abused by the Catholic church when they were minors, according a report published on Friday.

Spain’s acting Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the release of the report was a “milestone” in the country’s democratic history.

“Today we are a slightly better country, because a reality that everyone was for years aware of but no one talked about, has been made known,” Sanchez told reporters in Brussels.

The 777-page report also included statements from 487 victims, who stressed “the emotional problems” the abuse has caused them, Gabilondo said.

The report also called for a state fund to be set up to compensate survivors, around 65% of whom are believed to be male.

Since then, the church has faced similar accusations in a number of countries including the United States, Ireland, Australia, France and Chile.

The original article contains 314 words, the summary contains 143 words. Saved 54%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• dingleberry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

If you don’t rape kids, are you really a religion?

• hh93@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

“But won’t anyone think of the” in regards to gays and drag-queens is such a bullshit since that ‘argument’ usually comes from the religious people

Quitting the church is helping more children than banning people from living out their sexuality in a harmless way ever could

• ChojinDSL
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Aaaaand in today’s news that nobody found surprising…

• Patariki@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

To put that in perspective: If he did that to 1 kid every day of the year, he would need 548 years before reaching that number. What a monster

• Serisar@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s not about a single person molesting 200.000 children, that is pretty much impossible. The article talks about the church as a whole - clergy and lay people.

• Arbic@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Well I’m sure a rather efficient priest can molest 50 children a day. So he’s done in only 11 years!