Changelog:

Rewritten with Flutter
Support ipv6 (beta)
Strengthed password
Quick support feature
Hardware codecs H264 / H265 (beta)
AV1 codec
International keyboard (Map mode and translate mode)
Wayland support (beta, known issues #4276 (comment))
Privacy mode (beta, Windows only)
Headless Linux
Virtual display (Windows)
Resolution adjustment
Dark theme
A lot of improvements (#918)

https://rustdesk.com / https://github.com/rustdesk/rustdesk/

• solariplex@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wayland support, would you look at that!

Was it rustdesk or some other popular open source remote desktop software that had “no plans of supporting wayland”? In any case, nice!

• aksdb@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Just a beta feature though. Last time I checked it still didn’t work unattended. So unless the missing wayland puzzle pieces are in place now, it’s likely still unusable for be.

• RasenEmu@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That is also a wayland showstopper for me personally. Does someone know if it is a per se wayland issue or is there “only” the implementation missing (i.e. in plasma wayland for instance)?

• aksdb@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Wayland is all about protocols being implemented by the DEs. So far there is (afaik) not a fitting protocol for remote desktop usecases.

Even screensharing is still a PITA, since the desktop portals work independantly from the requesting application. App asks portal “what apps and screens are there?”, then the user gets prompted by the portal to select the allowed entities. Then the application lists these again, user picks it again, and then gets prompted by the portal again to basically confirm that you really want to share it. That’s mostly a discrepency between how the apps work (on X11, Windows and OSX vs Wayland). But it’s in the end still a pain for the user.

Grabbing and manipulating inputs is another matter. Allowing that globally is a security issue, so Wayland doesn’t do it. But remote desktop needs that. So now there needs to be a standard protocol that the DEs implement to allow remote desktop solutions to access inputs. Or they do it like RustDesk, run as root and intercept inputs before wayland gets a chance to intervene.

• RasenEmu@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Thanks for the insights. Than I might try RustDesk again, and see if they successfully worked around the wayland shortcomings.

Yeah, screensharing is not optimally either, but at least it is working. I mean I could live with a portal which operates like for example a file chooser, but than it should implement the whole process of choosing a window or a screen without any further interaction necesary in the parent application.

• specter2426@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Used to use TeamViewer as I supported it for a company and was familiar with it but I got tired of the 2 hour session limit. Found Rustdesk through some Google searching and now I run my own install of it. Absolutely love it for my use case and I’m glad they’re able to keep putting out updates!

• QuazarOmega@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That looks right actually, so they had been using Flutter already for mobile and finally decided to align their desktop codebase to it too, makes sense

• devexxis@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Neat piece of software we use at the office to provide remote support to customers.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

One more version without the obvious UPnP. At this point I think they’re not implementing UPnP in order to somehow profit from the lack of it in the future. Who on their right minds wants all traffic going over a server when in most cases you can simply use UPnP? This makes no sense.