This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/Objective-Result-661 on 2023-06-22 12:04:18+00:00.

My parents have been married for 19 years. My mom has four kids from her first marriage. Josh (28), Ella (26), Poppy (24) and Jax (20). All four of them have the same bio parents. From what I know their father is not a great guy and did some stuff to my mom but my mom and dad always kept me as far from him as possible so I don’t know him really. But his kids with my mom continued to live with him half the time until they were each 18. They are still really close to him today as well.

I (16f) have always been the outsider with them. Even with Jax who was closest in age to me and he doesn’t remember a time before I was born, is closer to them than he is to me.

I have learned to accept I am not their sister or their family and I am not their friend either. So when Josh got engaged I did not expected to be in his wedding. But my parents, especially my mom, did. So when they found out Josh’s future wife’s younger siblings (like much younger) were bridesmaids and groomsmen and I was the only sibling included, my mom went to speak to Josh, which in turn meant all four of her other kids told her I was not their sibling and even if she loved me, they did not, and I wasn’t wanted anywhere near them. Neither was my dad. But he was invited to keep her happy. I would not be.

My parents have been oh so stuck on this and then a few days ago I was like, this was no surprise to me, and I’m shocked it is for you guys, none of the four of them talk to me and I have always been the outsider with them. My parents were so upset and told me I should expect it because I am just as much a sibling as they are. I told them my whole life I have known they did not love me. I also told them that at one time I would have cried so hard. But that I’m now at the point where that’s just the fact of life. I told them I would have been speechless if I had been asked, so no, I wasn’t surprised and they should let it go because I would not want to be in a wedding where nobody wants or even likes me.

My parents are so mad that I have this attitude about it. They want me to care more and said I was very flippant in saying I was not surprised.

AITA?

• ef9357@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

NTA. I don’t get your parents attitude. They want you to be hurt for being excluded?