With their recent update it seems they are on the last step to making their free version completely useless – are there any good alternatives out there? Preferably something that has a similar android app. I know I could use ssh+vi in a text file, but I’d prefer something a bit more streamlined

• renard_roux@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

First off, Notion is vastly superior to Evernote in every way (IMO). They have super streamlined apps for both Android and iOS, and the learning curve is negligible. Fully accessible in any browser, too. Once mastered, Notion is ridiculously powerful, and their free account ridiculously generous.

That being said, I recently discovered Obsidian, and although I have big love for Notion, I don’t think I’ll be using it anymore.

Obsidian also has apps, both for mobile and (native) desktop (Mac, Win, Linux), is open source (edit: my bad, not open source), and has a thriving plugin community on GitHub.

The learning curve is steeper, and Obsidian is one of those things that’s so flexible that it’s borderline overwhelming, but if you can wrap your head around how you want to use it, make it suit your needs, it’s the absolute bee’s knees.

Personally, I use Obsidian on my Mac desktop, and sync my Vaults (basically just a specific folder on your HDD containing your notes (individual markdown.md files) and folders) with Google Drive. I then sync the changes to my Android phone using Autosync for Google Drive, where I use the native Obsidian app, and Google Drive syncs to my Chromebook where I run the Obsidian Linux client.

I can’t stress enough how much I love Obsidian, it’s truly been one of my top 3 new software revelations in the last 5 years (Raycast and Midjourney being the other two). Highly recommended ❤️

Edit: Sorry, just now noticed this was posted in FOSS, so my suggestions might not be valid. Just thought since you’re coming from Evernote, and there are fantastic, free alternatives, you might want to look into those 🙂 Both my recommendations have paid options (Obsidian offers paid sync, but is completely compatible with free alternatives), but both work amazingly without ever opening your wallet.

• String@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I use obsidian too! while it’s not open source, there’s so many community plugins and all your notes are stored on your computer in markdown, so you have complete control over your notes (you aren’t locked in to using obsidian). I sync my notes with OneDrive, then I use the OneSync mobile app to get my notes synced onto my phone.

something similar to obsidian is logseq, it’s open source but it’s more geared towards bullet point notes. I used it a bit and it didn’t make sense for me (I was mostly journaling, but it looks very promising if you take notes in a bullet point format!)

• Saintzillla@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I tried Obsidian, but I’m building a meal planner and a workout planner in Notion and I just can’t imagine getting anywhere near this juice for my squeeze from Obsidian. I also live for the consistency between Windows and Android and the simple and clear notifications from my projects, tasks, and calendar on BOTH reliably.

Do I need to give Obsidian a 2nd look? Any resource you recommend for plug-ins or specific plug-ins? Thanks!

• renard_roux@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Honestly, that sounds like something you’re going to have a much better time doing in Notion 😅

Your use case is outside the type of thing I use Obsidian for (notes, brainstorms, longform/fiction writing, project development), so there might be plugins I don’t know about that will help you do what you’re describing, but then I’m not the right person to ask 😕

I’m not sure what type of functionality it is you want to end up with, but if Notion doesn’t get you there, my first thoughts would be to try Google Sheets (can do almost anything, but steep learning curve for advanced stuff), or maybe even Airtable (which I haven’t looked at since I found Notion, at least 5 years ago, so unsure how they’ve been developing).

Good luck with the project! 😃🤘