• MicroWave@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

DES MOINES, Iowa — The first of two Iowa teenagers who pleaded guilty to beating their high school Spanish teacher to death with a baseball bat was sentenced Thursday to life with a possibility of parole after 35 years in prison.

• Pandantic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You don’t do that shit without being a truly disturbed individual. I can’t say I feel sorry for him. As a teacher in Iowa, when this happened, it really scared me (and made me glad that I teach younger kids).

• Spacehooks@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Prosecutors said the teens, who were 16 at the time, were angry at Graber because of a bad grade she had given Miller.

• entropicshart@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Glad to see them having to serve 35 yrs before chance for parole; only thing better would’ve been to remove them from this plane of existence.

Taking the life of someone who spends their days teaching you something, simply because you did a shit job at learning and likely didn’t put any effort into it. These kind of people do not deserve the tax money it will take to keep them locked up behind bars.

• entropicshart@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I believe that is due to all the appeals processes and wait times, which are understandable given the track record of innocent folks being placed on death row.

But in cases like this, where it was just pure evil actions, it makes you wonder why we bother with incarceration.

• balisada@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So I wonder what their end game was if they simply beat her up. Did they honestly think that she would simply give them a better grade and not mention all her injuries to anyone?

• fergilicious@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How am I just hearing about this now. The fact that this gets pushed down the newsfeeds by other disturbing shit in this country reminds me why I don’t go outside and hate everyone.

• MercuryUprising@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The news feeds on blood, because it’s what gets people’s attention. 90% of people are still generally good and kind, but the remaining 10% need to be controlled by the 90 and that takes effort.

• ElleChaise@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s the biggest reason a-holes tend to get their way in our world. Because good people rarely have the mentality that they need to put their foot down and control the menacing people. Compassion and empathy gone awry can lead to dire outcomes for compassionate and empathetic people.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yep, apathy and an unwillingness to say something when you see something is what gets us a totalitarian dictatorship. People are too cowardly or too over-empathic towards people who wouldn’t think twice about robbing or killing them.

Go to any thread about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for example and watch people say things like “Whoa, let’s not dehumanize these Russians now,” essentially tacitly approving this sort of conduct. This sort of Buddha grade forgiveness approach doesn’t fucking work when the people you’re forgiving see that approach as weakness and exploit it.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

LOL, these fucking idiots needed numbers and weapons to kill a 66 year old woman. They are going to get the ever loving shit kicked out of them in prison. Welcome to hell, fuckos.