• fergilicious@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

How am I just hearing about this now. The fact that this gets pushed down the newsfeeds by other disturbing shit in this country reminds me why I don’t go outside and hate everyone.

• MercuryUprising@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The news feeds on blood, because it’s what gets people’s attention. 90% of people are still generally good and kind, but the remaining 10% need to be controlled by the 90 and that takes effort.

• ElleChaise@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s the biggest reason a-holes tend to get their way in our world. Because good people rarely have the mentality that they need to put their foot down and control the menacing people. Compassion and empathy gone awry can lead to dire outcomes for compassionate and empathetic people.

• MercuryUprising@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yep, apathy and an unwillingness to say something when you see something is what gets us a totalitarian dictatorship. People are too cowardly or too over-empathic towards people who wouldn’t think twice about robbing or killing them.

Go to any thread about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for example and watch people say things like “Whoa, let’s not dehumanize these Russians now,” essentially tacitly approving this sort of conduct. This sort of Buddha grade forgiveness approach doesn’t fucking work when the people you’re forgiving see that approach as weakness and exploit it.