• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

What the article fails to mention is that this device only has 2GB RAM. Anyone who’s used an Android device with low RAM would know how much of an unpleasant experience it is.

I have the Boox Nova Color, and even though it has a gig more RAM than the Poke, it frequently runs out of RAM when I’m reading manga (on Tachiyomi). Even when I’m not reading manga, the overall experience is pretty sluggish.

It’s a shame though, because Android e-ink readers are rare and Boox is basically the only viable option out there, but they all have pretty low specs which makes it hard for me to recommend them.

• limerod@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Outside of light web browsing(for book downloads), it should be fine. Its main task of reading ebooks shouldn’t necessarily be hindered by low ram. Using tachiyomi sounds like a use case where it would benefit. Unfortunately, that may not work smoothly. Ram management also plays a huge role in this. So, having low ram + poor ram management can cause bad experience in general.

• dingleberry
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

With just how slow e-ink screens are, would you even notice the jank?

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes, at least on my Nova. In fact I think the e-ink screens make it worse, everything feels like it’s in slow motion.