Screenshots of Boost for Lemmy included.

• AnonTwo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

That picture is incredibly bias…

1. It’s using light mode, and not dark mode. I think everyone can already see the issue there

2. They’re on the event page. Keep in mind this is Chat room software . The Chat rooms are the ones with the #.

3. Again, it’s a chat room/Instant message software. This page doesn’t represent the main purpose of the software.

4. It’s no more a walled garden than Reddit or twitter were. It’s just closed source software.

5. I do agree it doesn’t make sense to make it the new source of reddit communities, because the information is incredibly volatile…like I said earlier, it was made to compete with Chat room/instant messaging software…It’s an instant messaging client, not a forum client. The information can be freely deleted, you lose access to it if you leave the server or get banned, and of course if the server is banned or deleted all the information is lost.

So I do think this is a really unfair take on Discord, but also I think Discord is a terrible replacement for reddit. It was made for conversations, not for discussion.

• atocci@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I feel like it’s an issue of bloat more than anything. Discord was much easier to use back when I first joined, but now it’s gotten to the point where where you have the ability to make twitter/reddit-style posts inside what is supposed to be a chat room.