I watch a fair amount of series, but I’m not a data hoarder. I see the value in 2GB episodes, but I watch most series on my laptop, my simple 1920x1080 tv or even my phone where that value doesn’t make a difference. If I want to have a theater experience, I’ll go to the theater.

Most of the times I just want to enjoy a good story and relax before I go to bed.

I don’t have infinite storage and I hate when I want to download something new, but Im out of storage, so I have to delete stuff first.

• 🆂🆃🅰🅽🅻🅴🆈 🅿🅰🅸🅽@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Good enough for who? You? Sure. But not everyone watches on a small screen. Some people might actually care about the quality too. Some of us can’t goto the theatre.

2GB isn’t large by any stretch. There are 720p versions of pretty much everything (at least that’s what I see on most Usenet Indexers). You could easily get a multiple terabyte external drive if your internal storage is full.

• ayaya@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yeah complaining about storage space in 2023 is a bit silly. You can go on eBay right now and get a used 4TB SATA drive for $25. Even cheaper if you get SAS drives, you just need a SAS expansion card which is also around $20 or so. 6TB SAS drives are going for $30.

ISP data caps are a bigger enemy than raw storage capacity these days. It costs me $50/mo to remove my 1TB cap. Which means it is more expensive to download 6TB than it is to buy 6TB of physical storage. And even SSDs are dirt cheap now. Storage has never been cheaper.

• ayaya@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I am using unRAID so if one dies I can just replace it. About 4 years ago I bought a lot of fifteen 3TB SAS drives and I have had them running 24/7 since then. Funny enough not a single one has died. They all had around 5 years of power-on hours and now they are up to 9 and still going strong. Honestly I expected to lose at least one per year but they are surprisingly resilient.

• ayaya@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The good ol’ United States. Most of the major ISPs have caps here and you do not really have multiple choices because they basically have monopolies in their respective areas.

• Retiring@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I did not know that! I remember data caps being a thing here in the middle of Europe in the early 2000s. There haven’t been data caps for home internet connections for a long time.

• Chev@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

A family of 4 going to the theater is about 1TB of external SSD. Nowadays they are smaller than your regular phone.

• iopq@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Maybe try watching a 1080p HEVC or AV1 episode, 200MB for half an hour or 400MB for an hour and it looks amazing

• Billy_Gnosis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I’d even say that going to the theater sucks balls. The picture and sound quality usually sucks compared to a high quality download on a 75" 4k TV. Even a high bit rate 1080p video looks better than the theater.