• tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

We are already being robbed every day, all profits of the working people are being funneled to the rich. Whatever amount this average teenager could waste by not working is completely insignificant compared to the trillions spent on speculation, weapons, political manipulation, and other billions of dollars spent on things that make all of our lives worse. How much money do you think a trillion dollars is? We are being tricked every day. There are billionaires that sit on their ass and do less than any lazy average person, and make thousands while doing it.

• Torvum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Current populist rhetoric using half truths is all this is. Yes there are reasons to be upset at our current situation, but the easy out of “muh billionaires” is so lackadaisical and falsified as a straw man for the stock market, politicians, and evil people who are actually an issue.

Lazy people are exactly the reason why shit is so bad as is. Look at any period of history pre-80s and you’ll find a group of unified citizens actually doing something about their issue and making the government fear them using the necessary violence (the only language these fuckers understand as it removes their control through ‘civility’). Now you say you want to give rise to a new class that happily takes their state mandated paycheck and then sits on their ass to not question why things aren’t getting any better. Yeah no, it fucking disgusts me, this philosophy.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah it’s not just ‘the billionaires’ that’s obviously a short hand for the greater issue. You hear about those people because they made differences, but throughout history most people are just as lazy as they are now. Sitting down and not working itself is a form of rebelling against this fucking bullshit that wants us to do something all the time. Fuck that, for what? I want to make the government fear the people that want to sit and do nothing. Because what the fuck is life for. What are you living for?

• Torvum@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Family, myself, and the collective good that has allowed some like my friends with diabetes who would be dead without the efforts made by all to allow those who would have died otherwise a fair chance. Anyone capable of work has a moral obligation to assist in upkeep of a better society. The government doesn’t fear people sitting on their ass, they fear the ones willing to die before giving up their rights. It’s literally how history speaks of every successful government rebellion.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

That’s the thing though, you can’t just sit on your ass, so the people most dedicated to that have to fight for the right haha. I agree though, everyone should work as hard as they can in the face of what is happening. Some people have different levels of what they can do while still being productive in their efforts, and I think that can look lazy sometimes to people. With too much strain or anxiety or whatever, a persons work could be counterproductive to the efforts they are trying to achieve. Sometimes doing nothing is the better option for a person’s situation.

• Torvum@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Sure, but your proposed idea was to allow (in my perception of your explanation) literal shut ins who don’t provide ANYTHING be it entertainment, production, service, education etc, and just sit inside collecting a check while gaming or binging shows all day. That’s not useful to anyone least of all themselves from a health perspective, and becomes a cancerous drain in multiple ways. THAT disgusts me. I have no issue with giving it to someone like my friend who only works weekends taking care of mentally challenged kids for a center. He has awful back issues and the levels of labor that he can meet are very restricted. But he still offers something to the world, in the manner he can. That’s respectable and should be incentivized.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Well I don’t think most people should be doing that, I just believe the vast majority of people actually do want to do productive work, more than enough for society to function just fine if some people were shut-ins, I don’t think it’s a good thing to do and you’re right it’s bad for your health. We’ve had large societies long before the economic system we have now, and with technology, work that would take substantially longer in the past can be done more quickly with fewer people today.