• Torvum@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

You benefit from the resource and labor collectivized to ensure you don’t have to eat rotten food every night, sleep outside and die of exposure, or die in a bloody war against your will. It is a miracle you’re even allowed to live considering how rough all of human history has been, and to ensure that keeps going while you benefit from it, you agree to assist in maintenance.

• UrPartnerInCrime@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

All that comes from the exploitation of the human population. If everyone was out to better the world we would be leagues further than where we are now. But a handful of people do and spend everything they can to stay in power.

Even if we overlooked all the exploitation that happened, where we are now thanks to everyone in human history, we don’t need to work like we have in the past. Everything can be automated and everyone happier. But then the rich and powerful wouldn’t get to be rich and powerful

• Torvum@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I don’t disagree on exploitation, my point is your rhetoric has lost the plot.

You physically cannot automate everything. Human input is always needed somewhere. There isn’t enough resources on the planet to just wish problems away, everything atrophies, everything needs doing to get. Just because we don’t work as hard as we did, doesn’t mean we don’t still have to work. There are necessary labor inputs to upkeep what we have achieved, and anyone who benefits and is capable should help ensure that everyone else can enjoy the same benefits going forward.

Wise men plant the seeds of a tree whose shade they will never know. Anyone not disabled, a child, or dead should contribute.

• UrPartnerInCrime@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

We could automate enough to make UBI a thing. Then nobody has to work a shitty back breaking demoralizing job and can then focus on better things.

Obviously there will be some shitty jobs that are an exception but you get what I’m saying. UBI for all