Hello, I want to get fitter but I have struggle to find a plan or to create one just because I don’t have the knowledge for. I do own a Garmin watch and I do use the Garmin connect app which is very good. However it only has training plans for running etc. I currently do the 5K plan.

But my goal is not only to get good at running or only build muscles but a good mix and a good balance. My primary goal is to be healthy and to make my body make use of what is capable without going in the extremes in one specific direction.

I do each an hour training on Mondays of Kung Fu, Qi Gong and Tai Chi which is very good and I currently because of the plan on Garmin do make a run every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. I just started and can run about 3km without problems at 7:30 per km but going faster or wider is a struggle because of the fact I just started.

For workout I want to train mostly at home with my own bodyweight and dumbbells because the gym is about an hour drive away and I just don’t have the time for it.

I googled a bit and found Freeletics but it’s not useful for me because it doesn’t sync with Garmin so it wouldn’t be aware of my runs I track there or other stuff.

So yeah I want to find a balance between building muscles, cardio trough running and becoming more flexible which is useful for everything and also necessary for Kung Fu. But I can’t figure out a training plan because the topic is way to complex to get through. All sources tell you something else i.e. you shouldn’t do that exercise because it has a long term negative effects or something else. Then you need to know which exercises train which muscles and how long to rest and how to progress, nutrition and whatever else. So yeah maybe someone of you can help out with my struggle. In the best case I’d have something that progresses with my own progress and works good with Garmin (or connected services that automatically get Garmin trainings synced like Strava). If it’s an app it doesn’t need to be able to track trainings I just need to have a plan. Tracking works well with Garmin.

I also need some flexibility in case I have a day where I can’t do a training. So something where no day can be left out like some apps have it would not be something useful.

It also doesn’t need to be an app. Whatever works works. I’m just looking for some solutions.

Thank you in advance!

• rbhfd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

/r/fitness is one of few places on reddit that would be worth to visit the site. So if you have no problem with that, check out their wiki. It’s very extensive and should contain the answers you’re looking for. If not, ask in the daily questions thread. You’ll have a wider reach there.

There’s a lot of misinformation wrt fitness on the internet, but r/fitness does a good job of giving no-bullshit information.

• imblue212@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I can really recommend their wiki. This may be a little more straight forward, then just browsing through the sub .

• thrashpipe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It sounds like you might be overwhelmed by all the options you have to reach your goals. I’ve been there. With so many exercises, plans, apps, etc it is easy to get a little lost.

It looks like you already have an idea of the activities you want to focus on: running, martial arts, and bodyweight exercises.

I would create a plan that includes 3 different days, one for running, one for martial arts, and one for bodyweight exercises.

On each day, give yourself at least one specific goal. For example, if today is a running day, give yourself the goal of running for 5 minutes longer than your last run. If that seems like too much, make it 2 minutes. The point is to focus on incremental improvement, no matter how small the increment.

As for bodyweight exercises, just pick a few and stick with them for a few months. Some common bodyweight exercises you could start with are pushups, squats, lunges, pull-ups, and chin-ups.

Also, consider tracking your progress in a notebook. Apps are nice, but they can be a distraction / hindrance. Once you’ve created a plan that works for you on paper, you can search for an app that helps you track what you need.

I hope this helps.