• deejay4am@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As someone who owns a lot of vinyl in various states, that is both a possible and realistic depiction of a pretty extreme warping. I have one or two that look exactly like this.

I would say, though, it’s questionable stylistically why you’d want that much of a warped record in an otherwise clean (and context-free) scene.

• jonatan83@lemmy.fmhy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Well, I started doing the project because I wanted to try out an idea for animating something following a surface (like the pickup on the record), so I wanted a pronounced effect. I also feel like it gets a more “retro” and cozy feel to the scene - like someone has brought out that one beat-up record you play every Christmas. But in retrospect I should probably have toned it down a bit.

For anyone interested; I have a mesh with a single vertex with a shrinkwrap modifier set to project and the target set to the surface (the record), and then I parent an empty to that vertex, and another empty to that empty (to have an offset). I then simply use a track-to constraint on the thing I want to follow the surface.