• Not_Alec_Baldwin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m THRILLED with the promise of technology making human labor obsolete.

Is labor the best use of your limited time?

Why should we design a society where people must labor in order to survive?

However I’m DEEPLY concerned with our blind dedication to the private ownership of everything, exclusively for the purposes of growing the wealth of the few.

I don’t believe we’re in a post-scarcity world yet, and so I don’t think we’re able to stop laboring altogether. But we’ve definitely reached the point where many have stopped laboring and are surviving on the backs of others. Their lessers.

That needs to become embarrassing instead of a point of pride. We need to start shaming people into doing their part.

• kicksystem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

100% agreed.

I am actually a vegan activist, so I am somewhat used to shaming people. Although that is never the purpose. The purpose is to stop people from exploiting animals (killing, breeding, enslaving, using for testing and entertainment) when in today’s world 99% of it is unnecessary. It is very cruel and also is a major factor of climate change.

I digress, what I wanted to say is that this thing that you and I are talking about should have activists too. Money grubbing needs to be shamed endlessly. I just don’t know exactly how. I feel like going onto the streets with thousands of activists like I do with veganism, but I lack a clear movement, message and organization.

I honestly don’t have a systemic solution, like with veganism, which may be the crux of the problem. I just believe people need to be held accountable for what they are or are not bringing to the world.

Do you know of a movement? Perhaps degrowth?