The president’s comment that he has “no confidence” in the civilian death toll in Gaza provided by Palestinians incensed community leaders.

• BluJay320@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

they were considering sitting out the 2024 election

This is the single most idiotic thing you could do in response.

This may be horrible action from Biden, but throwing away their votes may as well be a vote for Republicans.

And I assure you, they will do much worse

• Reptorian@lemmy.zip
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Republicans only care about Israel funding as a image thing. They don’t care about Jewish people at all. While there are reports of anti-semitism on college campuses, there are plenty of young people who has their heart out for the Muslim, Arab, and Jewish people all alike, and wishes for a permanent solution that allows them to live with each other in peace. So, really, the only reasonable solution is to vote for Biden, but also people who prefers to take a more nuanced view of the war like AOC.

• BabyWah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It is stupid, but see it in context: the Muslim community has been ostracized, alienated and systematically blamed and punished as ‘the baddies’ since 9/11, while the majority of them just want to live their normal lives.

White people/Christians/actually everyone, never realised how much pain and suffering 9/11 also did cause the average Muslim too. Loss of jobs, income, rise of the right wing and perpetually being ridiculed and invalidated.

This coming from an ex-muslim… To be honest, when I read Biden saying that, it infuriated me. Why can’t he be nuanced and defend Israel AND Gazan civilians AND condemn Hamas at the same time? Because he can’t. He doesn’t care how many kids are dying right now with his stupid ‘cost of war’ rhetoric, because he doesn’t believe those lives matter. He thinks this will blow over in a year, because no one cares about brown/Muslim people.

Come what may, he just lost the election and gave republicans all those votes. Let’s hope there are enough white guys replacing them. I wouldn’t vote for him too. It is stupid and nobody wants that orange buffoon back, but sending a signal that enough is enough is more important sometimes.

• MagicShel@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Respectfully to your opinion, nothing is more important than preventing fascism from getting more of a foothold than it already has. I don’t care how mad you are at Dems for not doing more, a Christofascist America would be a rabid enemy to Muslims.

I’m not even a Democrat. I’m just a dude voting for democrats to keep the country out of the hands of the current batch of Republicans.

• BabyWah@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah I agree with you 100%. Republicans are heading for a real life Gilead, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

Let’s hope I’m wrong, he still has some time to change their minds.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I heavily disagree. Throwing away your vote or voting red simply as a “fuck you” does nothing but hurt everyone else.

Put your votes to a different dem, or even go independent.

Shooting your own foot in protest is just stupid.

• CluelessLemmyng@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Right. There is no Muslim representation in the GOP. You cannot say that about the Democratic party. The Democrats are a coalition ranging from Center Right to Far left. There is a candidate in there for you to support and vote for.

At the end of the day, a vote for the GOP or a no-vote is not the way to go. It’s how you get Trumpers in office and they will most certainly make Muslims and Arabs suffer no matter what. It’s stupid to think otherwise.

• BabyWah@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

It is stupid, I 100% agree with that. I also know from experience that sometimes it’s the only way to get their attention.

Muslims (or any minority for that matter) were and are suffering anyway, especially after 9/11 and they usually vote with their emotions.

Democrats/Biden never should have spoken out in that way, even if HE thinks it’s true. It was undignified, especially for a world leader to be so shortsighted.

Saying Israel had the right to defend itself was okay, we all agreed. When the death toll was rising beyond that, he shirked it off as the ‘cost of war’. This got me angry. Vetoing UN humanitarian aid? My brain just couldn’t process it. When he said he ‘doubts’ the numbers are right? He really got my blood boiling.

This man is systematically and wilfully undermining the Palestinians agony, death and suffering, agreeing with genocide AND expects everyone to shut up?

Yeah, I get the sense that he thinks he can say anything at this point because the other guy is worse. But he forgets that staying at home and not voting for anyone is also a choice.

So glad I live in Europe…

• nyar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The Democrats have forgotten votes are earned not guaranteed.

I’m not voting for anyone who enables genocide.

• nyar@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I’m not voting for Trump. I guess that’s an automatic vote for Biden then?

Oh, it doesn’t work like that? Guess the logic doesn’t work either way then.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Not voting is the most irresponsible thing you can do, and makes you part of the problem

If you throw away your vote, and the worst option wins, it is just as much your fault as the ones that voted for them

Also, you forfeit your right to complain about any of it. You had your choice, you did nothing.

Vote or shut up