Hello, I have currently two seperate pc’s.My daily driver running Ubuntu and one windows machine for playing pubg. The Linux system hosts discord and also occasionally games.

In my current solution I use a simple analog audio mixer to control the outputs of both devices. Unfortunately I get pretty mean coil whine effects from the windows machine when the game is running. This is annoying for me, but even noticeable for persons in the discord.

I fixed it by using the optical line out from the windows PC in combination with an external DAC and then back to the analog mixer… This works but the setup looks more and more like a birds nest.

Now I am looking for a solution that allows me to :

• mix digital toslink with sound of the Linux machine in one device
  • I need real world buttons/wheels to adapt the sound of both machines independently and without software

Any ideas?

Cheers, M.

• zork@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but this is best achieved with an analog mixer. You already have the ideal solution for your requirements.

• Starfighter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I agree with the other answer suggesting to keep the mixer. Maybe look into a higher grade cables if the interference is induced into the analog cables (it could also come from the sound card, cables won’t help with that). That way you could get rid of the optical to analog conversion.

Just as an other option I wanted to mention Deej though. You’d likely need two deej controllers but they could be built into the same box.