• steventhedev@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Literally the headline is “Israel diplomat calls…”. It’s incredibly misleading - hell, even the tagline that you copied in as the post body doesn’t even qualify it.

Feiglin is absolutely a fringe nutjob, and has been pushed out of politics because he was too extreme even for Netanyahu. His wikipedia entry has more content under the “Controversy and criticism” section than outside it.

I’m less familiar with the other one.

• pleasemakesense@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

He was ambassador to italy as recently as last year, I’m not an english native speaker but having worked as a diplomat would qualify him as being a diplomat, no? Where I’m from it wouldn’t be weird reffering to someone as a diplomat even if they are currently not on a diplomatic mission. Feiglin is a current member of likud, that isn’t being pushed out of politics

e: also btw, I didnt copy anything, the title and text was automatically generated when I submitted

• steventhedev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah, the misleading headline/tagline are 100% on the site. Heck, the community rules require the title to match the article, so it’s not like you had an option.

Feiglin is a nutjob, but he’s unfortunately a shrewd politician and Israeli politics are currently dominated by finge nutjobs.

In general, calling someone a diplomat implies that they are currently representing the State. While it is an impressive qualification, and Italy is not a minor posting, he would face very real consequences for saying those things if he were currently holding that position.

That ultimately is kind of the point: neither of them will face domestic consequences for this. One has always been at the fringe shouting hateful stuff, and the other works for a right wing newspaper as an opinion writer.