When you think of Shropshire, giants may not necessarily be the first thing that comes to mind. However, littered across the landscape are tales of giant beings, each with their own unique narratives. These creatures are somewhat underrepresented in discussions regarding our lore, but despite this I believe they are intrinsic to the county. They can symbolise the savage elements of nature, which are in constant conflict with human kind. Furthermore, they come to symbolise the spirit of the land itself, something that is altogether primordial, unrestrained, and untamed. Some of our giants whisper of Celtic influences, however others seem distinctly ‘Shropshire’ in design. Some are successful, whereas others are resigned to a fate that is controlled by humans, or the forces of nature. We are going to explore some of these stories, travelling across the breadth of shropshire, in hope we can discern more about the counties wonderful folklore.

Great read. I know Shropshire reasonably well but a lot of that folklore had passed me by.