Interesting bit of news for the threadiverse. All three of these are fairly large lemmy instances

• bill_1992@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    1 year ago

Isnā€™t the whole point of the fediverse that you get to create and craft your experience for your community? Thereā€™s a really good reason defederating is a feature. I donā€™t get it, Beehaw decides to use the features of federation so now we: firstly become tribalistic (them vs us), and secondly decide to get angry? Like it or not, this is what you signed up for when you wanted federation.

I donā€™t see the point of getting angry like this, and really donā€™t see how this negativity being conducive to a thriving community. Some new people are going to explore fediverse, see tribalistic mudslinging among instances, and say ā€œnot for me.ā€

Iā€™d say respect their decision and move on, if itā€™s not for you itā€™s not for you.

• BreadDog@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 year ago

Its both a value add and a negative. For those more focused on their own community (Like beehaw) itā€™s an obvious positive. But for many users, losing access to certain communities on your own instance of choice is going to be a negative. I personally donā€™t blame Beehaw for favoring the former. I think improved moderation tools and more granular federation would at least make the move less of a blow to users.

• Leigh@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 year ago

Absolutely. Itā€™s disappointing that this person read a post made by the Beehaw admins that was written with nuance and grace, and then decided to respond with vitriol. Thatā€™s exactly the kind of attitude that is so prolific on Reddit, and I am happy to leave it behind. Thank you for your reasoned reply.

OP, I encourage you in the future to choose grace.

• zalack@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 year ago

Yeah, theyā€™re saying ā€œlook, we only have four mods, have a highly targeted type of community we are trying to build, and have had to disproportionately moderate users from these instancesā€ which seems reasonable on itā€™s face.

Thatā€™s kind of the beauty of Lemmy/Kbin right? You can spin up an instance with whatever rules you want. I think people are reacting to the fact that during the Reddit exodus Beehaw kind of looked like a ā€œdefaultā€ general instance, including me.

But thatā€™s a misreading on our part, not them going back on that.