The FTC moves to block Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard King acquisition, adding to the growing list of concerns surrounding the $69 billion deal.

• runner_g@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is honestly a good thing. Both companies are already giants in the gaming world, and this merger would stifle innovation.

• *Tagger*@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, you’re probably right, but as a game pass subscriber I can’t say I’m not a little disappointed.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Good. Microsoft is way too big of a player already in the gaming world, let alone tech in general. Remember when they were in court because they simply included their browser in Windows? No way they should be this big already

• Goronmon@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Windows and IE was an issue was an issue because of monopoly concerns when it came to the PC OS market and browsers.

Are you concerned that Microsoft will have a monopoly in the console gaming market if the Activision deal goes though?

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

We’re not at monopoly, but we’re definitely nearing an oligopoly. Few companies control most of the gaming market. There are indie devs sure, but for AAA titles it’s just a handful of companies, and now they’re trying to merge into even larger more in control companies

• Goronmon@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Sure, but consider the specific situation we have in gaming where Microsoft is sitting in a distant third to Sony and Nintendo. Aren’t any limitations placed on how Microsoft can grow in the gaming market just making it easier for the bigger players to cement their positions in the lead?

• Slayer 🦊@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I supported the deal until the made waaay to many dumb agreements to put cod on the weirdest platforms. But I must say Sony has shown themselves to be just as much of assholes as Nintendo