I’m a journalist. I write a lot. Right now I use a kaweco perkeo all black fountain pen. But I want to upgrade. I’m looking for a light weight no screw fountain pen in a higher price class. It has to be durable, can take a lot on ink, an edc and around the 100 dollar mark. What do you guys recommend?

• ItsJason@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was looking through here to see if anybody was recommending a Pilot Vanishing Point or Majohn A1/A2.

Don’t have time for a screw cap? How about no cap at all!?

The Vanishing Point is really handy. There is the full sized VP and the slightly smaller VP Decimo. The Majohn A1 / A2 pens are lower cost clones. I have a Decimo and find it can go quite a while without drying out. Longer than my snap cap pens. If you do a lot of writing, I’d suggest a fine nib, or even extra fine nib, to get more mileage per fill. Some people have trouble with the placement of the clip on the pen interfering with their grip. In general, if you use a tripod grip, the clip shouldn’t be an issue. The Decimo sells around $160 USD, but you might be able to find a deal. The regular VP is a little more still. I haven’t used an A1/A2, but they are less expensive alternatives that still seem to be well liked.

• WARPed1701D@wayfarershaven.eu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I didn’t suggest the VP simple because of price. Pilot bumped up prices this year by a huge amount taking it well out of the OP’s $100 budget. They also wanted something that looks like a fountain pen. I like my VP well enough but one of my dislikes is that it really doesn’t look like a fountain pen. Capacity can also be an issue if using the included converter.

• coys25@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, that’s why I was thinking Majohn (and also why I asked if OP wanted more of a stealth FP or not). I like it for my work because it’s less obvious, but definitely varies by use case and preference.