It should come as no surprise that the lemmy.ml admin team took about 2 minutes to decide to pre-emptively block threats / Meta. Their transparent and opportunistic scheme to commodify the fediverse and it’s users will not be allowed to proceed.

We strongly encourage other instance administrators to do the same, given the grave threat they pose to the fediverse.

• carbotect@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Fediverse right now is mostly used by a small group of enthusiasts.

If Meta joins the fediverse, the people who join Lemmy/Kbin/Mastodon instances will still be the same group of enthusiasts.

If Meta leaves the fediverse, you will also still have the same group of enthusiasts, that you have here right now.

I don’t get why the EEE meme is so prevalent here. XMPP never died and big tech never even harmed it.

Best case: Big corps joining the fediverse could make the ActivityPub the de facto standard for a new generation of social media. Similar to how HTTP, Email or the Linux kernel is practically used everywhere now.

Worst case: The fediverse will remain as obscure as it is right now and nothing changes.

• astraeus@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Doesn’t seem so obscure anymore, reddit somehow successfully boosted an entire ecosystem for social media while completely failing to prove their profitability.

• carbotect@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Yeah I believe that Lemmy has the best chances to compete with its proprietary inspiration, than every other fediverse product.

Mastodon needs endorsement of businesses/celebrities/politicians to become a viable alternative Twitter. This will probably never happen. The API changes in Twitter were far more brutal then the ones on Reddit, and many ended up joining Mastodon. Most will leave it again tho, because Mastodon does not have their favorite businesses/celebrities/politicians.

Peertube has no monetization program, which makes it even more irrelevant than Odysee.

Only Lemmy does not need huge amounts of cash or clout, to keep people on the platform. Reddit was a (relatively) democratic platform, most were anonymous and content for Reddit is easy to produce. Translating this into the fediverse with Lemmy works really well, as we can see here.

Threads will primarily influence Mastodon. Threads already eclipsed Mastodon in its first few hours. There is no need for EEE, because Threads has already decidedly won. Mastodon can not even scratch Threads. Threads is probably only interested in the fediverse, because of Tumblr. I personally think that Mastodon would gain more from Threads joining the fediverse, than Meta ever could, but we will see I guess.