• @russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    337 months ago

I tried out the beta version of 545 last week, I swear it made the render issue with XWayland apps worse. Even if it’s back to the 535 state, it still makes using Wayland on Nvidia very difficult unless every application you plan to use is Wayland native. It’ll be a while before that’s the case for me.

I plan to just pick up a 6700 XT next week. I’m tired of being a second class citizen in Nvidia’s eyes.

That being said, I appreciate the devs themselves who’ve been working on improving what they can (there’s a couple that I’ve even seen participating in the Freedesktop GitLab). I assume the lackluster Linux support comes from the management side of things. I may not like the company, but I obviously don’t have disdain for every single person there.

• @milkjug@lemmy.wildfyre.dev
        link
        fedilink
        97 months ago

I replaced my 3080 Ti with a 7900 XTX, reinstalled Tumbleweed to start fresh, and KDE on Wayland has been running great so far. Before, visual glitches galore, GPU refusing to output a signal if iGPU is not blacklisted, hardware video decoding outright does not work, etc.

Now, with AMD, I have not yet experienced graphics-related issues in weeks, fingers crossed.

link
        fedilink
        English
        57 months ago

Yeah it’s absolutely ridiculous. The “stable” release is out in the extra-testing repo for Arch, and I just had an absolute nightmare trying to get it to work. Installed it, added the suggested nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nvidia-drm.fbdev=1 kernel parameters to systemd-boot, ensured all of the Nvidia kernel modules were present in initrd to do early KMS loading - tried to start a KDE Wayland session and the desktop ran no more than maybe 5 FPS and I wish I were exaggerating that. A very similar issue was reported on their forums but the error I’m getting from kwin_wayland_drm is slightly different.

Tried install GNOME, but its Wayland session wouldn’t even launch at all. Loaded into its X11 session and it seemed to not be using accelerated graphics whatsoever.

Now of course, part of the blame goes to me for opting into the testing repo… but at the same time, I shouldn’t have to go through those hoops just to potentially get a working Wayland desktop (and I suspect even if I had succeeded, the same issues will have still been present). As far as I understand, AMD/Intel’s drivers are just part of mesa and are included in the kernel - no modifying your initrd, no worrying about DKMS, no trying to mess with .run files…

I have a Windows partition on one of my SSDs for the few occasions that I need to do something that can only be done from Windows, and I think I’m just going to use that till my GPU comes in. Funnily enough, Nvidia’s drivers aren’t even that great on Windows either - I still get a screen flicker issue whenever (I believe) the power state of the GPU changes, so for example playing a YouTube video, or even Steam popping a toast notification saying that a friend has launched some game. And plenty of my friends have tales of nightmares with trying to install and manage the Nvidia driver on Windows.

I would’ve never bought an Nvidia GPU in the first place if I had known how bad it was on Linux, and my current Nvidia GPU (a 2080) wasn’t actually purchased by me, but handed down by a very gracious friend at the beginning of the year since times have been really tough for me. Thankfully this last month I was able to put in some extra hours to be able to set aside some money for a used 6700xt because if I have to deal with this any longer I’m going to lose my sanity.

• milkjug
          link
          fedilink
          English
          67 months ago

Its a lost cause, I’ve wasted several weeks in August and September trying to make Nvidia and Wayland and hardware video decoding work on every distro imaginable, GNOME or KDE. I would have bought a card from Team Red outright if I knew how deep the rabbit hole went.

• @Swiggles@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      77 months ago

Same. A 7800 XT is on its way as we speak replacing my 2080 Super. I am just sick of Nvidia even though performance wise it wouldn’t be necessary.

link
        fedilink
        English
        57 months ago

Ah very nice, a 7800 XT should be a fantastic upgrade (assuming my understanding of AMD’s GPU lineup is correct, I can hardly keep up with Nvidia’s as a “software” guy)! I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that it gets there quickly for you, and that the swap goes smoothly.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶
    link
    fedilink
    67 months ago

Going to try my hand later at putting together an arch package and installing driver before its in the repos

• @bingbong@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Does Debian testing/sid automatically update to the latest drivers through apt upgrade?

Edit: actually after reading the other comments, I don’t think I want this “update”

• @merthyr1831@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    37 months ago

Good that nVidia is being forced to improve wayland support. Bad that it appears that nVidia’s code appear to be as spaghetti and broken as X11’s