Norway has succeeded in getting the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) to make permanent and extend across Europe its ban on Meta (Facebook’s parent company) harvesting user data for targeted ads on Facebook and Instagram.

• thethirdobject@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I know it’s a week-old thread, but I just received the notification on the Instagram app about the subscription and I have a few thoughts. First of all, here it’s actually 12 euros. As a relatively light user - I check Instagram maybe once or twice a day and FB once a week or every two weeks, just to keep in contact with people I don’t text -, that’s a lot of money to give to Meta for those services. I’m all for paying to have content without the tracking and the ads, but not 12 euros unfortunately. Which is, I guess, why they chose such a high price.

• ferralcat@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

They won’t. They’ll just sell their private data.

As someone who tried to make a living caring about people’s privacy, people don’t care. The only time they pretend to is when they need to explain why they buy the new iphone pro model yearly (but they’d turn on a dime if apple said “we’re building an ad platform! Look how pretty our ads are!”)