The landscape of tech recruitment is like a rollercoaster ride–thrilling, unpredictable, and often leaving us with more questions than answers. Lately, it seems like the industry is introducing some bizarre practices that have both employers and job seekers scratching their heads. Let’s plunge into this tangled web of tech recruitment trends.

Generic Job Descriptions: A Bane or Boon? Job descriptions are often the first handshake between a company and a potential candidate. But have you noticed how eerily similar they’ve become? It’s like a weird case of deja vu with every new job ad! Is the overuse of templates diluting the essence of job roles? Share your experiences!

Anecdote to help spark discussion: A software developer recounts, “After going through dozens of job listings, they all seemed to merge into one. It was hard to discern what each company truly valued.”

Marathon Interviews: Rigorous or Ridiculous? Gone are the days of a two or three-step interview process. Now, it’s like running a gauntlet with endless rounds of technical and behavioral assessments. Is this thoroughness necessary, or are we just scaring away top talent?

Another anecdote to help spark discussion: This one from the perspective of a data scientist, “I was in the interview process with a tech company for over two months. Even after getting the job offer, I was exhausted and had second thoughts.”

HR and Tech Teams: Synced or Scattered? The gap between HR departments and tech teams can be like two worlds apart. How often have you faced misaligned expectations or miscommunications due to this disconnect?

Final discussion-y anecdote: A backend developer’s perspective, “HR pushed the idea of a programming language that the tech team was phasing out. It raised questions about the company’s internal communication.”

While it’s great that tech recruitment is evolving, is it evolving in the right direction? Is it evolving at a fast enough pace? What about communication? How can we make the recruitment process more efficient, clear, and human-centered?

I’d love to get your perspective on all this!

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I went through 12 interviews once. Twelve. They made a verbal and then ghosted me. Called me three months later after the first person didn’t work out and tried to make another offer. Crazy

• HMNOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

12 interviews?? Jesus. I would love to hear more. What was each for?

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Basically meeting different people. An example there were five people on the team. I had one interview with each person even though I would work with them.

I have an interview with the manager, director, VP and senior VP.

It was strange as hell. They called me for another job and I told them no.

• HMNOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Was this a small company? Really sounds like time-wasting disguised as due diligence. I hope you at least had a nice chat with some of them.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

No very large company. A very well known cyber security company. It was a sales engineering position. They’re well known for being a pain to interview with.

• HMNOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Solutions Architect?