Back to Ted

• Moghul@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I do sure wish I had a balcony. I grew peppers and cherry tomatoes on my windowsill a few years in a row but the effort isn’t worth it for an apartment…

• I feel ya! We work with what we can and if the space you have isn’t feasible, then that’s okay if it simply doesn’t work out.

That being said, here’s a few options to consider but do what you want. :)

One option is to grow some herbs since those tend to get pricey and they therefore offer the best bang for your buck. Plus they take up little space. Starting from seeds is the most cost effective (only a couple dollars for 1000s of seeds). Sow them in an empty plastic egg carton, nursery pots, or other upcycled plastic container. Then, you can germinate and grow under grow lights. Don’t bother with “grow light” marketed ones. Just the brightest, whitest generic LED bulb will do. If you run it all day, it’ll only cost a couple cents per month. Then, you can harvest fresh herbs year-round! Lamps can be found for cheap and sometimes free on Facebook marketplace.

Another option is finding a community garden in your area.