• calcopiritus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Your whole argument is based on “goods are driven to a shop, and then people drive to that shop.” I live in a city, I just walk to the store and buy the thing. It’s much better for the environment than a truck driving to my home to deliver a a package of an item that weighs 100g

• pixxelkick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I just walk to the store and buy the thing.

The extremely vast majority of people do not have (insert their hobby here) available for purchase within walkable distance.

Groceries, dentist, pharmacist, optometrist, alcohol, convenience store, etc? Sure, those are pretty much always within walkable distance.

But everyone has other random stuff they need and that is almost never within distance. Everyone’s got something they like to consume/buy/coolect/use/whatever, and its extremely common for whatever that thing is to be simultaneously too low in demand to have coverage across their entire city, but high enough demand that theres some locations for it here and there.

Like, I dunno, 3d printing. Its common for most cities to have a couple places you can buy 3d printing stuff. But it sure isn’t so widespread that even 5% of the city’s population is within walking distance of a store to buy 3d printing supplies.

So there will be a very very sizeable chunk of the population that occasionally buys (thing) and the nearest store simply just isnt within walking distance to get.