• m_r_butts@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s exactly what I am arguing. If you have a Venn diagram of IT professionals and Linux users, I’m sure the overlap would be a lot greater than that of IT pros and Windows users. It follows that a Linux userbase is where you’d see a disproportionate number of people filing exceptional bug reports.

• uis@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You reminded me about this crazy stuff where people with objdump made game 35% faster.

• m_r_butts@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Holy shit, lol. I’ll read that more closely later. My head’s not in a space to appreciate assembly instructions right now. Somehow I’m not surprised it was Factorio people either.

• uis@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

They are so enlightened in optimizing processes, that they optimized factory optimization simulator.

• shadow@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

IT professional here, can confirm, Linux is superior and my choice of os.

… despite my work being mostly Windows Server.

Also: IT professionals usually have some experience and/or start out with Help Desk (hell), where you quickly learn what is and is not a good issue report.

• Tekchip@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

This is pretty US centric thinking. Linux doesn’t have licensing. That means it’s used extensively in other countries, especially poorer ones. Some countries entire governments use it. It’s pretty huge in India too. Africa. Places where common folk, not IT professionals, use it but either have rough or no Internet and aren’t communicating in English, especially not GitHub.

• m_r_butts@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

A majority of the users being professionals doesn’t mean your hypothetical kids in Ghana aren’t using it, or that Indian developers aren’t filing good bug reports. You’re accusing me of advocating a problematic worldview you’ve created for me.