Communities

Join a few of our fresh communities! Please don’t mind the dust as we work on getting settled.

Recommend a Community

Is there a technology-related community you would like to see on Lemdro.id? Share a comment below with your suggestions!

Seeking Experienced Mods

Are you an experienced mod with an interest in supporting one of these communities or bringing over an existing community from Reddit? just reach out to @ijeff@lemdro.id to chat!

A Fediverse home for developers

Are you a Lemmy app developer looking for a home community on the Fediverse? We can help with that! Just send us a link to your Github or Play Store product page. We would be happy to host a community for you, including moderation support! No cost, of course. Just reach out to: @ijeff@lemdro.id.

• ijeff@lemdro.id
    cake
    M
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

We unfortunately don’t have the ability to tag posts on Lemmy, which would allow people who don’t want to see certain content to filter them out. Similar to memes (which we posted a discussion thread about), there tends to be a love it or hate it opinion on specific questions.

There are pluses and minuses to each approach, but Separating it out means folks can choose whether to subscribe to one or both - with them appearing together from the subscribed view.

I’d also just flag that viewing a community subscriber count from a different instance will only show you the number of folks subscribed from your same instance.

For example, !askandroid@lemdro.id has 762 subscribers. You’d have to visit lemdro.id/c/askandroid directly to see the cumulative count (although subscribers from certain instances may still not appear correctly).

But I do understand wanting more eyes on any particular question, but it can often be better if the folks seeing the post are the ones who have intentionally subscribed for that content. Happy to revisit this with an discussion thread in the near future though!

• SteWi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The metrics I quoted may not be precise, but they are still representative. How many more subs does android have on your instance compared to askandroid?

That aside: Just look at the post & engagement numbers!

My argument is that, at the moment, the community is too small for so many specific sub-communitites. And this approach sends users into oblivion.

Most of the deleted questions aren’t even reposted in the other sub, and if they are get way less responses.

• ijeff@lemdro.id
        cake
        M
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Yeah, I definitely didn’t mean it as a rebuttal. It’s just an observation I recently also shared with mods who weren’t sure if things were bugged out or not (we have a few modding from different home instances). One of the many Lemmy quirks!

I do know there are folks who would actively unsubscribe from !android@lemdro.id if it were loosened up, but I do take your point. I’m checking in with fellow mods (time zones are tricky) about the option of posting up a community discussion thread on this. Thanks for the input!