• StereoTrespasser@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Okay? I mean we live in two entirely separate worlds. $550k in my area gets you 850 sq ft with added condo fees. And of course if you’re locked in (trapped?) at 3% you’re not going anywhere. You can’t go anywhere even if you wanted. If that’s worth the advantage of doing your own landscape maintenance on the weekend, and having to drive everywhere for the simplest of errands, then head on.

• Unaware7013@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

and having to drive everywhere for the simplest of errands

You say that as if most people lived in cities that didn’t require driving for every simple errand, whether they lived in a house or apartment. Good on you if you live in a walkable city, but you’re the exception.

• mapiki@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Lol. Salt Lake City. 300k for a one bedroom condo - almost not quite bikeable.

• abraxas@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Okay? I mean we live in two entirely separate worlds. $550k in my area gets you 850 sq ft with added condo fees.

There’s not many “worlds” with those price points, so you’re probably in Boston, NYC, SF, or somewhere similar. I, too, live in one of the highest cost-of-living areas in the US, so I get it more than you think.

But rent in those areas… 1 Bedroom apartments in Boston $4000/mo for 800sqft. Same thing, actually a bit more expensive to rent than to buy.

you’re locked in (trapped?) at 3% you’re not going anywhere. You can’t go anywhere even if you wanted

How so? If I actually were willing to rent, I could pocket a couple hundred grand and just pay apartment prices.

If that’s worth the advantage of doing your own landscape maintenance on the weekend, and having to drive everywhere for the simplest of errands, then head on.

In fairness, on the price difference I can afford a landscaper and use delivery services for errands. But I don’t mind mowing my lawn or driving, so I don’t do those things. But I don’t grok your point here. Are you suggesting nobody would actually want to live outside of big cities “because lawns and driving”? I understand some people love cities, and I respect that. I had a starry-eyed coworker who GUSHED about his visits to Boston. I like leaning back and chillin in my yard, swimming in my private pool, without anyone bothering me.