• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.win
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Tricky situation. False positives happen and a significant amount of what AppCleaner picks up is technically “user data”.

• PilotJones@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

If Apple just built what AppCleaner does directly into macOS, we wouldn’t have to worry about anything like that at all. In the meantime, we have to turn to a third party to help with something as essential as uninstalling an app completely.

• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.win
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s my point. AppCleaner isn’t magic. It’s killing off some known flotsam and making, essentially, educated guesses. It occasionally gets it wrong. Less frequently with suggesting removal of something it shouldn’t have and more often by not catching “everything”.

Apple doesn’t want to be involved with guessing games and run into the potential of getting it wrong. Microsoft doesn’t do it with Windows and none of major Linux distributions that I’m familiar with do it, under default conditions, either.

• PilotJones@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Whatever educated guesses it’s making are pretty damn good then.

As a habit, I always give a quick scroll through all the files AppCleaner finds when I ask it to delete something and not once has it selected anything irrelevant. Been using it for many years now and the app’s performance has just been bulletproof for me in all that time.

If it works as well as it has for me, I would rather it go that extra mile and delete whatever crap it needs to delete rather than leaving vestigial files on my computer for apps I don’t want anymore.