An attempted carjacking Saturday night left a 13-year-old dead after a security officer shot him; another boy, 12, is in custody

• Melkath@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

But no lives were actually threatened.

An unarmed 13 year old who could pantomime met a grown ass US Marshal.

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

Once again the actual intent doesn’t matter because that was only known to them. The only people who knew if they actually had weapons or not were them and you’re going to fault people for believing them when they said they did. They were threatening another persons life (once again no one knew they were faking it except them) that is the only thing that maters in this situation.

They knowingly made the marshal believe they had weapons, was the marshal just supposed to let themself get shot? There are a lot of things to criticize US police for, but protecting themselves when there is a clear, deliberate, and imminent threat on their lives is not one of them.

Yes it’s sad that a troubled kid with an underdeveloped brain made a stupid decision and was killed for it. But that doesn’t make it ok to victim blame someone for defending themself from a threat upon their life.

• sugartits@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 个月前

pardon me sir, please may I verify the lethality of your weapon before we continue this discourse?

• sugartits@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 个月前

If I poke you in your back with a stick and say “do exactly as I say and you might, just might, live through this”

Are you seriously going to:

• go “nah bro, I don’t believe you, go home, you’re drunk” or
      • are you going to take me very fucking seriously and not only comply but also try to think really hard and fast about getting out of dodge using any (and I do mean any) means necessary because you reasonably assume I have a loaded gun pressed against your back?

If you answer the first option, then we stop now, as you’re clearly being dishonest.

• Melkath@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 个月前

Well… you won’t believe me, but when I was walking home through an alley at night after my community College classes, and I had a .22 pressed into my back shoulder with a voice saying “don’t fucking move”, I turned around (pretty slowly in fact), took the gun (quite casually in fact) and then watched the dude run.

Then I called 911, turned the gun over to the cops, and filed a report.

I didn’t have a gun myself, and I didn’t shoot at his back with his gun.

So ya… I see what you are trying to do, but personally, I think I’m just pretty dumb and not a pussy.

Cops told me the guy was a simple mugger who had been working the block for about a month, and I should have just given him my wallet, but they also seemed pretty jazzed to have his gun.

• sugartits@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 个月前

you won’t believe me

Correct. I did not.

I think I’m just pretty dumb

At least we agree on something

Cops told me the guy was a simple mugger who had been working the block for about a month, and I should have just given him my wallet, but they also seemed pretty jazzed to have his gun.

And then everyone clapped

• Melkath@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 个月前

Great job sugartits.

You won the internet with your “he should have murdered that unarmed 13 year old” rhetoric.

Feel like a big boy now?

Cus all I see is you and your kin. A bunch of piss babies running round with your guns.

No mass shootings ended. But yall real efficient bout murdering brown children.

• sugartits@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 个月前

Yet again you’ve missed the point. And now you reply with emotion and anger instead of thinking, even for a moment.

I can tell you again and again, as others have done. However, sadly I cannot make you understand.

For the record, I do not own any weapons. Never have and probably never will.