I’m looking for a new colony sim on PC. What I’ve played so far are:

• Rimworld
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Banished
  • Timberworld
  • Frostpunk
  • Anno 1800

I know some of these might not be strictly colony sims. What I’m really looking forward to is Manor Lords, but we don’t have a definite release date on that.

What are your recommendations?

• nodrod@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Against the Storm, just recently started playing this and it’s fun. Currently $19.49 on the steam sale.

Endzone - A World Apart, has a very post apocalyptic feel. Currently $7.49 on the steam sale.

• Sentrovasi@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Also want to second Against the Storm, with the caveat that if you enjoy seeing your colony go self-sufficient, this isn’t really the game. The instant your colony goes self-sufficient here, the game is basically over, and the gameplay loop consists entirely of the struggle in getting there based on a randomised set of variables.

… which makes it my favourite colony sim by a mile. I think I have over two hundred hours in it, and it’s still getting improved by the active devs.

• WarikCastil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Against the storm is one of my favorite entries to the sub genre in a long time. I play loads of city/colony sims and this title stood out as something unique without getting away from the core elements of a colony sim. It also takes the best parts of rogue likes without making the game feel impossibly hard (but you can ramp up the difficulty in a variety of ways including in the middle of playing)

But like others have stated it’s not going to scratch the same itch as massive city builders like Cities, or factory games.

Still it felt fresh and I dumped a couple hundred hours into it already.

• DrQuint@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s my most played game this year and I was just doing the Beaver Utopia achievement a while ago today.

But it’s not really a colony management game in the same sense. It’s more of a roguelite-ish city builder.