link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

went on tv and announced that we would completely back Israel no matter what they did?

That never happened. In fact, a few days after the attack by Hamas, Biden warned Israel to follow the rules of war.

• eestileib@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

(postscript : I don’t think Biden wanted to see the tit-for-tat atrocities from Israel, I think he has recoiled and is trying to put a lid on it now. But the speech was a major and foreseeable fuckup on the practical and moral levels)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2023/10/10/remarks-by-president-biden-on-the-terrorist-attacks-in-israel-2/

So here’s the bit talking about restraint:

We also discussed how democracies like Israel and the United States are stronger and more secure when we act according to the rule of law.

Terrorists purpo- — purposefully target civilians, kill them. We uphold the laws of war — the law of war. It matters. There’s a difference.

The rest is a lot like this

So, in this moment, we must be crystal clear: We stand with Israel. We stand with Israel. And we will make sure Israel has what it needs to take care of its citizens, defend itself, and respond to this attack.

And let there be no doubt: The United States has Israel’s back.

We’re — we’re with Israel. Let’s make no mistake.

Interpretations can differ, but on balance I can easily understand why Bibi (correctly) interpreted that as a blank check. Yeah maybe we’d tut-tut and furrow our brow, but the guns and bombs are gonna flow regardless.

• FlowVoid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

First of all, Biden hasn’t sent any weapons to Israel since October 7. And he’s not planning to send “guns and bombs”, he is asking Congress for anti-missile systems accompanied by humanitarian aid for Gaza. Which I think is appropriate.

Second, I don’t think Bibi interpreted that as a blank check. I think Bibi is an idiot who doesn’t care what Biden thinks. In a follow-up speech on 10/19, Biden had much more to say:

President Netanyahu and I discussed again, yesterday, the critical need for Israel to operate by the laws of war. That means protecting civilians in combat as best as they can. The people of Gaza urgently need food, water and medicine. …

As I said in Israel, as hard as it is, we cannot give up on peace. We cannot give up on a two-state solution. Israel and Palestinians equally deserve to live in safety, dignity and peace. …

When I was in Israel yesterday, I said that when America experienced the hell of 9/11, we felt enraged as well, and while we sought and got justice, we made mistakes. So I caution the government of Israel not to be blinded by rage.

However, Israel is a sovereign country and unfortunately isn’t taking orders from the US. The US is trying its usual approach of attempting to bribe a foreign government into better behavior, but success is hardly guaranteed.

• UnknownQuantity@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

What are the rules of war against a prison camp? We could perhaps consult the Federal Bureau of Prisons manual, but I did not find the word “war” in it. Unfortunately, I don’t read Hebrew, so I came up blank there too.

• FlowVoid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Not sure what you’re referring to, but rules of war do not prohibit prison camps.

• FlowVoid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Maybe it is, but that’s that doesn’t violate rules of war.

The sad fact is that the rules of war permit a lot of awful things, because war is intrinsically awful.

• FlowVoid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Well, there has certainly been a change in tone from the US, with new calls for a pause in fighting. And this is likely to affect the shape of the current aid package.

But Israel is ultimately a sovereign country. Biden doesn’t support Israel unconditionally as some have accused, but he also can’t force Israel to do what he wants.