After the blackout I deleted all my posts and comments on reddit using the PowerDeleteSuite, and since then I’ve come back weekly to find comments existing on my account. I’ve been deleting them by hand now that the API is unusable. Does reddit pull these out of a backup? Do I just now see all of my comments? What’s the reason these comments keep showing up?

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

There are many Grease Monkey scripts that will do a mass ‘replace then delete’ on your Reddit comments. Since Grease Monkey is a browser script engine, no API access is required.

• MadMauriceOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Okay I’m not entirely sure you know what an API even is based on that last sentence, nevermind the privileged access a browser plugin is all of a sudden supposed to have. However riddle me this: How is a Grease Monkey Script going to find all my comments if the Reddit Website isn’t even showing all of them to me?

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Of course I know what an API is. No need to be a dick when people are just trying to be helpful.

The browser script will only be able to delete what is drawn on the page, so you will need to wait for dark subs to come back online so your comments and posts can be displayed in your history. You will also need RES on that browser for the “endless” feature. I deleted almost twelve years worth of content this way but still go back every few days in order to catch stragglers as subs come back online.

• MadMauriceOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

No need to be a dick when people are just trying to be helpful.

Yeah I’m a little reluctant to take help from people who make my bullshit meter go to 180 in as little as 13 words.

The browser script will only be able to delete what is drawn on the page, so you will need to wait for dark subs to come back online

It’s not only the dark subs though. It’s mostly that Reddit is caching a reduced list of my comments and only shows me those, and it doesn’t give me a new list when I deleted all of them until like a day later.