The Biden administration requested Israel detail the thinking and process behind the recent strike on the Jabalia Refugee Camp in Northern Gaza, according to a U.S. official, who like others was granted anonymity to discuss sensitive conversations.

“The U.S. asked for an explanation of the first [attack] on Jabalia,” said the official, adding that the conversation was in the context of “asking Israel to do more to avoid civilian casualties.”

• oakey66@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 个月前

Israel: “Because, fuck your.”

US: “Oh ok.” Signs check over for billions more in aid and weapons.

• Nalivai
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

“cmon, they’re brown”
      “oh yeah, my bad, carry on, here’s more money”

• DarkGamer@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

Israeli forces have already released explanations regarding these strikes to the press:

First strike:

An Israel Defense Forces statement said the strike on Jabalia, Gaza’s largest refugee camp, had killed Ibrahim Biari. It said he was a ringleader of what it called the “murderous terror attack” on Oct. 7.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-says-it-fires-israeli-troops-pressing-gaza-ground-assault-2023-10-31/

Second strike:

The Israeli military said its fighter jets struck a Hamas command and control complex in Jabalia “based on precise intelligence,” killing the head of the Islamist group’s anti-tank missile unit, Muhammad A’sar.
    “Hamas deliberately builds its terror infrastructure under, around and within civilian buildings, intentionally endangering Gazan civilians,” an Israeli statement said.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-military-jets-strike-gaza-camp-says-hamas-commander-killed-2023-11-01/

It seems like the US wants some press showing they are concerned, I would be surprised if they didn’t already know exactly what is happening and why.

• TinyPizza@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

I only hire murders to watch my children, said the man who lost his loved ones to the famous family murderer. When asked why the man relayed that “his CV was quite impressive and he provided references.”

• cozz33@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 个月前

I’ve re read your comment multiple times and I still can’t figure out what you’re trying to say. Don’t like what the above commenter is saying? Prove him wrong then.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 个月前

Apologies for your lack of comprehension. I think the material of “his” statements and the context of mine already does that. So sorry you don’t understand, but don’t feel bad, I’m sure you’re great at lots of things!

• cozz33@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 个月前

This is a country teaching young children that all Jews must be exterminated. Not Israelis, Jews. This country is ran by a group who openly call for the extermination of all Jews and are willing to hide in areas designated for civilians for protection. Everything I have said is fact and I can prove to you easily. Why then, are you talking down to someone providing more evidence and context? Israel said they targeted these area because Hamas leaders were hiding there. What Israeli leaders were hiding at the rave on oct. 7th? Why are you so hostile to anyone providing nuance to this conflict? I see you constantly belittling anyone who tries to provide explanations for Israel’s motives. The guy you were talking down to didn’t even say anything pro Israel, he just offered their explanation. Instead of being an asshole to people that go against your narrative, how about you provide them with proof that they are wrong??

• cozz33@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 个月前

Here is evidence of Hamas telling Palestinians to stay put https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-tells-gaza-residents-stay-home-israel-ground-offensive-looms-2023-10-13/

Here is evidence of Israel giving 24 hours notice before bombing and saying that the bombings will not stop until all hostages are released https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/israel-hamas-war-live-updates-rcna120042

Here is evidence that neighboring countries do not want Palestinian refugees https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/war-in-israel/jordan-egypt-palestinian-refugees/

Here is evidence of why neighboring countries don’t want Palestinian refugees https://m.jpost.com/middle-east/70-years-ago-jordans-king-assassinated-by-palestinian-on-temple-mount-674480

All this evidence is painting a very complicated picture. One that shouldn’t be fought over like a sports game.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 个月前

Says the person stumbling over themselves in a one person conversation. I at least hope you find some satisfaction out of all this effort. I honestly tuned out after your first comment. Please let me know how everything turns out when you finish talking this out with yourself. I’m sure I’ll care.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  8 个月前

Here is evidence of Hamas telling Palestinians to stay put

This needs context, because it’s even more complicated. They’re worried about a second Nakba, if Palestinians evacuate they will likely never be allowed to go home.

Here is evidence of Israel giving 24 hours notice before bombing and saying that the bombings will not stop until all hostages are released

And zero guarantees that the bombings won’t resume after the hostages are released. Giving up their only leverage would be foolish. By keeping the hostages they are strategically destabilizing Israel, because it makes Israelis unhappy with their government. Knowing your government is going to kill your family has an effect on people, regardless of the reasons.

Here is evidence that neighboring countries do not want Palestinian refugees

Again, more complicated. They can’t handle a million+ extra people, especially when they’d be coming with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The burden of a refugee crisis could actually collapse Egypt, they can’t afford this.

If Israel gave a shit they’d take refugees into Israel itself.

It’s complicated, but it’s not inexplicable.

• chaos@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 个月前

“There was a particular bad guy near them” and “they all probably have bad opinions about Jews” are not sufficient justifications for indiscriminately bombing innocent people. What if there had been an Israeli leader at that rave? People in both refugee camps and at a music event should be able to exist without fear that they’ll die because they were near the wrong person. One seems to provoke a different reaction than the other for some reason though, and that might be worth thinking about.

• cozz33@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 个月前

You are exactly right. Hamas knows what they are doing, and it’s working perfectly. A close friend was quite literally handed a pamphlet at work today called “The Jews and their lies”. I don’t even know any Jewish people and even I can tell what Hamas’s end game is.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 个月前

As far as I understand it your on the nose. There’s no fair excuse for attacking civilian populations to attain war goals. Not hostages, not music fests, not camps, not hospitals. The cost of war is the price of lives you put on the line to kill selectively. Indiscriminate slaughter in the name of “justice” makes you just as bad as your enemy, and as the casualties and cruelties stack, potentially worse. Yeah?

• TallonMetroid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

What’s to explain? The Palestinian problem isn’t going to solve itself, y’know. So obviously, the IDF needs to provide a little final assistance.

I only wish this was a joke in exceptionally poor taste on my part, but Bibi flat out admitted that the goal was ethnic cleansing, so here we are…

• shiveyarbles@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

This is theater, right? The committees in Congress get briefed on exactly what’s happening, and they act like they don’t have exact details, and video (probably in 8k resolution), etc

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 个月前

Either that, the foundations of attempting plausible deniability or most interesting, possibly them beginning to publicly lessen support. Bibi has said he’s full steam ahead no matter what and as people begin to die of dehydration/starvation this is going to be an anchor around any neck tied to it. Could very well all be shit too, but the actual humanitarian situation is teetering on the edge of a mass casualty event via collective punishment.

Bibi sensing his end may be yoloing this to take the wrap for the “Palestinian Solution.” Even the corrupt can sacrifice for beliefs, no matter how grotesque they may be.

• palordrolap@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

I saw that comic the other day. The answer to this is “It was a Hamas base of operations.”

To over-egg this comment: “What gave you the impression Hamas were there?” “There were Palestinians there.” “…” “…”

• bigFab@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 个月前

Plot twist: US asks Russia for ‘explanation’ on Donbass military attack.