I’m currently experiencing this dilemma. I want to knit something but am not sure what to make.

• HandsHurtLoL@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The username is a joke because I really wanted an account here in the Fediverse that referenced my hobbies. I was active in knitting and crochet subs in reddit but I had such a random username. Also, if you ever take a peek at my torso garments, I always post how many hours it took me and they’re all over 100 hours, so I just think people must assume my hands hurt lol

I have knit and crocheted so intensely or for prolonged periods that I’ve had wrist and hand strain, but it isn’t a chronic pain issue for me. I just needed a break or to be cognizant of my tension in my project. Too high tension = pain for me after awhile. Relevant when I’m doing cabled projects in particular.

Here is an infographic I have mentally referenced many times in the past 3 years to remember how to stretch my forearms and hands.

It’s hard for me to envision what you’ve described, but if you ever have a situation in which you’re unable to release your fingers from a curled position, that is called Trigger Finger, and you should consider capping how many hours a day you knit, taking frequent breaks during your knitting sessions, and incorporate stretches on a regular basis.