Hi, I’m Hunter Perrin, and I made a new email service called Port87.

Gmail was a great email service back in 2006, but now it just sucks. They put ads in your inbox that look like unread emails to trick you into clicking them. To me, that means Gmail is malware.

I’ve been degoogling my life for the past 7 years, and Gmail is the last Google service I depended on. I love ProtonMail and use it too, but I developed a new way to sort email automatically, and wanted to write my own service based on it.

Port87 lets you use a tagged address like yourname-netflix@port87.com, and that automically creates a “netflix” label and puts all email to that address in it. This helps keep your email organized automatically, and protects against spam and phishing.

The database abstraction library I wrote for Port87 is called Nymph.js, and it’s open source. Also the UI library I wrote is called Svelte Material UI, and it’s open source too.

I hope you all like it, and hopefully it can help migrate away from Gmail.

• hperrin@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Also tagged addressing, subaddressing, or mail extensions. Mine is not the first service to use hyphen. The Courier server also uses hyphen. Also, with mine you can use a plus or a hyphen.

• hperrin@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I’m assuming you mean hard code, and I’m not sure what you mean by that. I told you, you can use a plus or a hyphen. Both will work the exact same. If you want to use a plus, you can exclusively use a plus.